Saturday, March 1, 2008

writing the truth

from: Story untangles distorted memories and reveals truths

by jerry wexler
memorywritersnetwork.com

During one fateful day in ninth grade, I discreetly positioned a science fiction book on my desk and was reading it while the English teacher droned on. I was so absorbed in the exploration of the galaxy that Mr. Disharoon walked up behind me, caught me red handed and confiscated the book.

I always assumed the ‘C’ I received in that class, my only ‘C’ in high school, was based more on revenge than poor performance....

Now that I write about that incident, I look deeper, and I immediately see flaws in my original version. For one thing, I was the one who was breaking the rules, and he was doing his job by enforcing them. It would be self-serving of me to forgive myself for the crime, while blaming him for the punishment. I shift to his point of view. Through his eyes I see a bratty kid who doesn’t seem interested in learning.

....How could I have been so far off the mark? I look for evidence to prove Mr. Disharoon was a spiteful man, but I can’t find any.

All of these lessons about myself come from the simple act of trying to tell a proper story. When I tried writing it in the form it has always presented itself in my mind, it didn’t sound right. To turn it into a readable story I had to strip away the layers of self-righteousness and expose the actual events. In the process, I feel lighter. I’ve released my load of blame and I learned more about the events that shaped me.

No comments:

deja vu me (past blogs)

haiku me

  • pink chairs, mimosas / shivering toes and fingers / turquoise sheers wrap me
  • sun beating, glowing / my warm sweater fits red, right / day of friends and peace
  • sleepyhead hurting/ eyes burn, blink, open again/ my head expands wide
  • saturday chilly / but tonight i see my love / warming, coming soon
Local Girlfriend Always Wants To Do Stuff

The Onion

Local Girlfriend Always Wants To Do Stuff

SALEM, OR—Alicia Maas often asks to be taken to dinner, go grocery shopping, and embark on meandering walks without a fixed destination, purpose, or time limit.